This is for the PDF eBook only. After payment, your order details will show a download link for the PDF eBook. You will also be emailed a copy of the download link.
A Balanced and Evidence-Based Approach
Few clinicians today would dispute that stress has a detrimental impact on human health. However, beyond that admission, most would find it difficult to define exactly how stress influences chronic disease and how to measure that influence in specific patients. Research over the past few decades has greatly increased our understanding of the role the HPA axis plays in metabolic and circadian regulation, and how acute and chronic stressors can create discrete patterns of HPA axis dysfunction. Unfortunately, much of that knowledge is either unknown or unleveraged within most healthcare settings today. Though clinicians trained in integrative and functional medicine paradigms are often more aware of these details, in many cases they are using out-of-date nomenclature or oversimplified explanations that need updating or correcting.
The Role of Stress and the HPA Axis in Chronic Disease Management- Second Edition is designed to bridge the gap between the growing clinical research in the area of stress and HPA axis function and the growing clinical burden of diagnosing and treating stress-related dysfunctions. It expands upon our first edition with both updated and new information. Thoughtfully written and richly illustrated, this Road map is intended as a teaching tool and reference guide for any healthcare provider who cares for patients experiencing stress or its consequences. This guide also provides practical discussions on available laboratory testing options and a critical evaluation of the evidence supporting nutrients and supplemental interventions for stress management. NEW SECTIONS in BOLD
- The Stress Response: Function and Dysfunction
- How Stress Depletes Metabolic Reserve
- Is it Really Adrenal Fatigue?
- Genomics and Epigenetics of Stress
- Modulating Cortisol Signaling
- Effects driven by Neurosteroids, Neurotransmitters, and Endocannabinoids
- Understanding Adrenal Hormone Testing & Avoiding Common Testing Errors
- Sample Patterns of Diurnal Cortisol and DHEA(S)
- Addressing the Key Reversible Stressors
- Expanded Lifestyle and Nutrient Support Protocols– including discussion of major Adaptogens
- The Effects of Stress on Memory and Thyroid hormone function